Medical and legal advocates are here to help you in the days following your assault. Please note that all advocate services are provided free of charge.
What is a Medical Advocate and Why Do You Need One?
The Medical Advocate provides support for you as you go through the medical process. If you consent, the advocate will stay with you during the entire medical exam and evidence collection process.
The advocate is trained to understand the entire medical process and can explain all of your options so that you can make informed choices. The advocate represents your interests and ensures that your rights are protected under the law. During a time in your life when you are very upset, angry and possibly feeling very overwhelmed, a medical advocate can be your primary support.
What is a Legal Advocate and Why Do You Need One?
A legal advocate is trained to provide support for you throughout the entire criminal justice process.
- Provide information on the progress of the police investigation, court process, and court dates.
- Provide ongoing contact with police and prosecutors to ensure that you are kept informed of progress with the legal process.
- Communicate your needs to the police and state attorney.
- Assist with filing for victim compensation, transportation to court appearances, and relocation.
- Provide support concerning problems with employers, landlords, housing issues and school matters.
- Provide referrals for counseling within SAFE.
- Provide support and information for family members and significant others.
- Assist in obtaining civil no-contact orders when appropriate.